August = Arts Parties!
* Fri. Aug. 5 from 6-10 p.m. Along Penn Avenue in Bloomfield/Garfield, Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn offers a monthly art and entertainment stroll spotlighting an eclectic blend of galleries and art retailers including Pittsburgh Glass Center, Silver Eye Photography, BFG Café, Arts & Crafts: Bottanica & Occult Shop, Songbird Artistry, Imagebox, Vault Art Studio, Kelly Strayhorn Theater, Center for PostNatural History, Irma Freeman Center for Imagination and more.
* Sat. Aug. 6 from 5-10 p.m. Market Square is the location for Moonrise Maker Market (sponsored by Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership and Handmade Arcade) featuring 30 talented local makers, artists, crafters. And, of course, music by DJ Matt Buchholz and In Bed by Ten Dance Party.
* Fri. Aug. 12 from 5:30-11 p.m. The Mattress Factory at 516 Sampsonia Way on Pittsburgh’s Northside hosts ZODIAC: Garden Party, a 21+ fundraiser featuring tarot readings, art auction, food and drink, musical entertainment with Clara Kent, Good Sport, DJ Jellyfish, Bjordan, Steel City Kitty.
* Sat. Aug. 13 from 5-10 p.m. The annual Barrel & Flow Festival features food, music and a varied assortment of artists (Black Girl Absolute, Bobbie Bonita Art, Marlena Jones Illustration, Marlon Gist Art, RLJ Designs, Secret Saks, Clean & Classy Candle Co.) at 2865 Railroad Street in the Strip District.
* Sun. Aug. 14 from 1-5 p.m. Mattress Factory open-air art festivities continue with Community Garden Party, a free all-ages event with free admission to the museum, music, numerous hands-on immersive art experiences including tarot readings with Sarah Mary Ellis, jewelry and accessory-making with Tooth and Bone Jewlery, free real (and/or temp) astrology-themed tattoos from Maria Laine, activities from the Northside’s new Moonshot Museum, pop-up record sale from the Government Center, DJ sets from Formosa and Wavy Bunch Sound.
Galleries & Exhibits
Ali Baba Restaurant. To Aug. 31: 14 new paintings by Turkish artist Bengü Çetinkale. 404 S. Craig St. Pittsburgh. (412) 682-2829.
Andy Warhol Museum. To Aug. 15: Paola Pivi: I Want It All. Works by Italian-born, Alaska-based sculptor/collagist including a piece with 250 pairs of shoes inspired by Andy Warhol’s early advertising art and Diamond Dust Shoes, Work Boots, Beatle Boots, The Shoe Series screenprints. 117 Sandusky St. Pittsburgh. (412) 237-8300.
Associated Artists of Pittsburgh. To Sept. 1: New Member Exhibition. 100 43rd St. Pittsburgh (412) 361-1370. To Oct. 1: Running Out of Time. Sheila Cuellar-Shaffer and Sharon Massey (opening reception Aug. 14, 3-5 p.m.) at Touchstone Center for Crafts, 1049 Wharton Furnace RD, Farmington, PA. (724) 329-1370.
August Wilson African American Cultural Center. To Aug. 28: Li Harris and Alisha B Wormsley: D.R.E.A.M. = A Way to AFRAM, multimedia exhibit; Select Works on Paper, prints, collage, paintings by Tara Fay Coleman, Robert Hodge, Dail Chambers, DS Kinsel, Bekezela Mguni, Quaishawn Whitlock. To Sept. 25: Shani Crowe Presents: Red, Black, and Green. To Oct. 2: Amber Robles-Gordon: The Architect and The Oracle. On permanent exhibit: August Wilson, The Writer’s Landscape. 980 Liberty Ave. Pittsburgh. (412) 339-1011.
Carlow University Art Gallery. Through Oct. 2022: “To Hear It With Our Eyes”: Activist Voices in the International Poetry Forum (1966-1974). Poetry and spoken word performances of influential 1960s/70s International Poetry Forum (IPF) writers and how their activist-informed creative practices contributed to social change. University Commons, 2nd floor, 3333 Fifth Ave. Pittsburgh. (412) 578-6000.
Christine Frechard Gallery. To Aug. 31: Hearts. A Healing Arts exhibit with paintings by Yelena Lamm, Svetlana Trofimova, Gadi Leshem, Lorrie Anne Gariboldi-Minicozzi, Ola Rondiak, Joe Witzel; opening reception Aug. 6, 5-8 p.m. 5126 Butler St. Pittsburgh. (412) 407-9319.
Concept Art Gallery. Aug. 31-Sept. 10: Concept at 50. Works by 41 artists; opening reception Aug. 6, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 5-Sept. 30: Vanessa German: News of the Day. New sculptures, wall works, prints made during a residency with Brandywine Workshop; opening reception Aug. 6, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 5-Sept. 30: Trevor King: Notions; opening reception Aug. 6, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.1031 S. Braddock Ave. Pittsburgh. (412) 242-9200.
Heinz History Center. To Jan. 8, 2023: Pittsburgh’s John Kane: The Life & Art of an American Workman. 37 original works of art by Scottish-born Pittsburgh painter John Kane. 1212 Smallman St. Pittsburgh. (412) 454-6000.
Irma Freeman Center for Imagination. To Sept. 2: PROCESS: Batista, Dugas, Turri. New paintings by Kenneth Batista, James Dugas, Scott Turri; reception Aug. 5, 7-9 p.m. 5006 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh. (412) 924-0634.
Manos Gallery. To Aug. 27: Allegheny Valley League of Artists: New Beginnings. Opening reception Aug. 6, noon-5 p.m. 320 E. 5th Ave. Tarentum. (484) 529-1597.
Mattress Factory. To Dec. 30: Shrine, features new works by Naomi Chambers, Renee Cox, Mary Martin, LaKeisha Wolf, Alisha B. Wormsley, sarah huny young. Current: Pop-Aganda: Revolution & Iconography, Russia & US, installations by Liz Cohen, Sonya Kelliher-Combs, Lera Lerner, Bekezela Mguni, Emily Newman, Veronika Rudyeva-Ryazantseva, Untitled, Galina Syanda Yaptik. 516 Sampsonia Way, Pittsburgh. (412) 231-3169.
Pittsburgh Creative Corps Gallery. To Aug. 6: Dream of a Black Planet, solo exhibition by multimedia artist Shori Sims; virtual Artist Talk on Aug. 5, 6 p.m. Backyard at 8th St. & Penn Ave. Pittsburgh. (412) 456-6666.
Silver Eye Center For Photography. To Aug. 6: (or, when i die i want to die peacefully), Karen Lue; Fellowship 22, Carla Liesching, Eva Alcántara, Jake Reinhart, Steph Foster, Jenna Garrett, Dylan Everett. 4808 Penn Ave. Pittsburgh. (412) 431-1810.
Spinning Plate Gallery. To Aug. 31: STRETCH. Paintings and mixed media by Norman Brown, Lynne Feinberg, Connie Merriman, Michel Demetria Tsouris, Bob Ziller; opening reception Aug. 5, 5-8 p.m. 5821 Baum Blvd. Pittsburgh. (412) 592-6418.
UnSmoke Systems Artspace. Aug. 6-28: Bound by Blight. Nathan Van Patter depicts North Braddock and Braddock with wood, plumbers glue, caulk, acrylic paint; opening reception Aug. 6, 6-9 p.m. 1137 Braddock Ave. Braddock, PA.
VaultArt Studio. July 1 (7-10 p.m.): Squared Circle. New paintings on wrestling by Darian Johnson, Kahyll Holyfield, Lee Kennedy, Sean Regis Traynor, others. 5100 Penn Ave. Pittsburgh. (412) 404-2895.
Westmoreland Museum of American Art. To Sept. 25: Alone Together: Encounters in American Realism. Early 20th-century magic realist and American scene paintings from the collection of Jason Schoen featuring 29 artists including Thomas Hart Benton, Grant Wood, Mary Henderson, Colleen Browning, Wynn Chamberlain, Opal Ecker DeRuvo. To Sept. 25: Knowing and Naming: Abstraction Beyond Reality, 9 artists from 19th-century American West painter Albert Bierstadt to contemporary Pittsburgh sculptor Thaddeus G. Mosley. To Sept. 25: Shelter in Place, new work by painter Scott Turri. 221 N. Main St. Greensburg. (724) 837-1500.